Mike as much as you are feeding the feed that sinks might go to waste as you say.

But if you have hungry BG I suspect it gets eaten after sinking. I have purposely dropped a pile of sinking 32% catfish food to the bottom and watched with an Aqua-Vu camera. It has been my observation that BG actually prefer to eat feed from mid water or off the bottom than going to the surface for it. We only feed floating feed so we can observe the fish eating and see that it is eaten, not because it is the place the fish prefer to eat. When I stand on the dock feeding I often see a larger BG take a pellet after it has sunk into the water 6" but because I am standing there and they can see me they will not take it off the surface. They stay just deep enough to stay out of my sight.

I throw out some Aquamax LMB pellets sometimes along with my other feed. I don't have any LMB that take it as far as I know. But the BG will hit it and hit it till it softens enough for them to tear it apart and eat it or if it sinks I am certain they do not let it go to waste on the bottom. If they do not get it eaten a CC will. Often times on the surface the BG hit it till a CC comes along and takes it away from them. Of course if you do not have CC you don't have a cleanup crew other than maybe turtles. Which I have a bunch of feed trained turtles also that I am sure would take feed off the bottom should they find it.

I doubt if your LMB pellets sit wasted on the bottom, unless you are really feeding to saturation.

If you are feeding more food than they can consume, or if you are feeding in deep water with no aeration so there is a thermocline and anoxic water where the feed drops into, it might go to waste.

Last edited by snrub; 09/03/16 01:57 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine