Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: John F
If you are just maintaining trails, I recommend the DR Field and Brush mower. I have an old one I bought used and it is a beast. Highly maneuverable and not nearly as costly as a tractor and bush hog.

John..this is a DR tow-behind mower?

I was looking for something I could pull behind an ATV.

As you stated I would like to just maintain a few trails.

I assume you have not had a lot of breakdowns/repairs?

My D-R is a self propelled walk behind model about 18 yrs old. I bought it used summer of 15. I had to replace one belt this summer after a lot of use, and it appeared to be many many years old. No other breakdowns. I cleared a totally overgrown fence row area last year with this machine, and a chain saw, and have used it to maintain since. There are a lot of trees to mow around. Plus, it is also used to maintain the back of my pond bank, which is too steep for a tractor to be totally safe. You can get a brand new 26" cut one like it for about $2,000. The tow behind model is more powerful, and is 44" cut for about $3,200. After several more mowings, and getting some stumps out, the area I cleared will be maintainable with a finish mower, or hay mower, thanks to the D-R. It goes through 3 foot johnson grass, tall weeds, and small sprouts like a lawn mower goes over a well maintained lawn.