Scott, I used to fish a 22 acre BOW in Ohio that had loads of chara. It was a pain in shallow water during high summer, since it would grow to the surface in areas less than about 4-5 feet deep. Of course, the exact range depends on water clarity, growing season, etc.

People complained and a lot of grass carp were stocked. Sure enough, they cut back sharply on it.

But here's the thing: Where the chara disappeared, so did most of the fish. I caught many a nice LMB in areas with submerged chara, like an old flooded dam or a point. Without the chara, it just wasn't the same.

Control it? Yeah, especially if you have lots of relatively shallow water. Maybe you could use chemicals to make a boat path and fishable areas near good cover.

Eliminate it? Based on my experience, not such a great idea.

PS Chara survived Ohio winters, including totally iced over BOW, just fine. I'd think they would have no trouble with an Alabama winter.

Last edited by anthropic; 08/11/16 10:43 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160