I'm no expert, but sure looks like chara to me. Crush some in your hand, if it smells like garlic or something otherwise very strong, it's likely chara. If it is, chara is a complex algae which is far more beneficial in my opinion to other types of algae [dense phytoplankton blooms, filamentous algae, blue green algae]. I know it can get dense, but remember it's tying up a significant portion of nutrients in your pond, and eradicating it will allow something else to take it's place. That "something" which takes it's place could serve as a problem down the line if it's coontail, hydrilla, filamentous algae, dense phytoplankton blooms, etc.

I suggest treating in areas you desire clearance and leave the rest. Copper sulphate is often an algaecide recommended by experts here - or you can just rake it out. Bear in mind it may spread when stems/leaves break off, float away and and colonize, so if you do rake it, understand it's not a permanent fix like an algaecide would provide.

Consider strongly against eradicating it - the devil you know is often far more manageable then the one you don't. I'd take chara over other algae and many plant species any day.

FYI - my 3 grass carp did manage my chara pretty well in a .2 acre pond - it was the only forage source available to them. Also, my crayfish denuded a pond thick of chara in one season - so those are two organic solutions available to you as well.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]