That video is pretty wild Zep. When I was younger with my small kids snorkeling I would catch regular water turtles by out swimming them and with my hand on their back pressing them against water flow till I could get hold of them such that they would not scratch me to death. Maybe 6 or 8" across the back of the shell. They have sharp claws.

But the only snapper I recall running across while snorkeling was in a very clear strip pit in about ten feet of water on the bottom. I held my breath, dove down to get a closer look, and about half way down it started swimming at me full speed with mouth open. He was having none of my inspection intentions. We broke off and left each other alone after that. So after that experience I decided to give snapping turtles in the water a wide berth.

As tame as that one was I'm guessing it is regularly fed and has become a pet. Had one yesterday as I was feeding fish come up to the bank (while I held very still and waited) within a few feet of me. Slowly brought its head up almost to water surface, looked at me a few seconds, and slowly sank back down out of site.

They seem to come and go in my pond. Be there a while then gone. Now my red ear sliders, they are feed trained! They come around for feed just like the fish.

Last edited by snrub; 07/22/16 02:58 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine