Originally Posted By: Shorty
Originally Posted By: RUMBLON
How many LMB can a pair of bass produce in a year? And who can tell me the survival rate thats typical for them?

Dave

http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/largemouthbass/

Quote:
Females average 4,000 eggs per pound of body weight, but the number can be quite variable.

Recruitment / survival is usually pretty low but without predators present you will see a lot recruitment of fingerlings. If it were me I would be looking looking for 5-6" BG to stock asap and would work at removing as many LMB as you can from this years hatch.

My problem is this. In order to get 5-6 inch BG I have to get a state pond permit. In order to get that I have to install a system for making sure no fish leave my pond, even though my pond is underground spring fed and run off and I have no stream or water source to it. And to be honest I want nothing to do with having the state come on property when ever they want to check it. And I cant afford the cement barrier to begin with.

I will ask around about other farm ponds to see if anyone has BG. In Idaho its illegal to catch fish from a public water way and transplant them, but with a written note from a land owner of a private pond you can transplant from one pond to another. Thats what I did with these bass. I guess what your saying that I need t worry about the bass taking over? I do have other predators, bull frogs, lots of them, birds, snakes, ect.

Dave