Ok guys I am back. Took me a little bit to read all the input and have to admit that I have not gone to the links yet to read about crappie.

Snrub, you ask a very good question and although I did put something in an earlier post about my goals it is probably worth some additional time to make sure everyone understands them. My building the pond is not about growing trophy fish. The property is a paradise away from the hectic work schedule for DOD near the nations capitol. My real aspirations are to grow antlers and that is why I found a place in Ohio. The pond was added for aesthetic value primarily. Sounds like I am inline with you in that if I can put a smile on a kids face by pulling in a medium size BG, LMG, CC, Crappie or whatever it will be a success. I like the sounds of bull frogs in the evening and at night and love the looks of lilies and stumps in the water (even if I lose every lure I own).

I think that if I summarize the recommendation they are as follows:

1. Remove as many LMB, CC, Koi, Crappie as you can.
2. Put in 8-10 large BG (preferable males) - I will have to get from pond across street. Should be able to get some 8+ inch fish.

I assume the YP were a waste of money as they will just provide food for the LMB.

Questions:

Will putting in a mature LMB help with #1? If so, what size is best?

Are there other predators that would help out?

What should I do with any BG that I catch (throw them back or keep them out as well)?

What about FHM's. Should I stock or will the existing LMB's just clean them up? There is lots of cover in pond.

------------------------------------

The funny thing is that to get the 8+ inch BG and the LMB up to probably 5# I just need to go across the road (to a neighbors) and fish a totally overgrown and neglected 1/2 pond. That is what I want : ).

I also have a 1/2 pond on the border of my property and 2 others. Since it is shared I have not considered doing much with it.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

v