I am having land cleared now for building a pond. It will be 2+ ac., apx 22 ft. deep, located where 2 hollows come togeather both with springs. The dam will be in a steep hollow & only apx 100 ft across the top.
I know from extensive reading this forum most people want LMB/BG. That's great but I've always wanted to be able to fish for BIG trout & SMB so that's what I intend to stock.
I hope to creat a selfsustaining pop of fish so here's my idea:
Install a pump (thinking 750gpm) .. pull water from the deepest water in spring & pump to 3 shaded waterfalls (one in one hollow with a smaller spring and two in the main spring hollow). Waterfalls will be fashioned with areas for trout spawning. I will create an underwater creek (Idea from Lakedoctor on this forum) filling with sand & gravel leading from the spring entrance around one side of the pond in 3-4 ft of water for SMB spawning also.
During the hottest part of the summer I will pull water from the surface .. run down the waterfalls to cool & increase DO. Pipes feeding the waterfalls will be buried under the pond for added cooling.
Am I wasting my time/money? Does anyone think this could work or is it folly.
How can I find a local profesional pondmiester?
Any help & input is greatly apreciated,
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric