I have to politely disagree with JHenson's idea that this is a fungal infection. I would say bacterial -- most likely in the aeromonas group. From my experience raising fish and in textbooks, I have not seen a fungal infection that appears to be reddish, but have seen fungus as a secondary invader after a bacterial infection. The fungus tends to be whitish or brown in color and fuzzy in appearance. If a fungus took on a reddish color it would be fuzzy in appearance i.e. saprolegnia etc.

Could be parasitic with the baterial infection secondary after the parasites have allowed the skin and/or scales to be compromised.

However I'm not a fish pathologist, and have been told by one that as soon as he thinks he knows exactly what a fish has many times the tests turn up something else.

I do have a degree in fisheries too, but no big deal. Sure would love to go back to school and take more courses but that will have to wait as I have more ponds to put in.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.