With the small tank setup, you always have to keep an eye out to what's going on. If the female is ready to drop the eggs, I would let the male harass her at least for a few days(sometimes it takes a week, as long as no damage is done). If you see scales being ripped off, etc, then I would pull him for a few days. If she isn't ready, well then you are just not going to see anything happen and he will keep beating on her. Make sure you have a place for her to go hide and escape him, plus I have found you need a place for him as well. Again, consider cutting his lip. It saves a lot of grief.

I suspect you didn't have mature enough females. Literature says they will be breeding at a small size(can't remember the exact length), but for me it seems the females have to be 9 or
10 months old and about 8".

@Brian- Have you thought about creating a tank divider with very fine screen. Once the female is holding eggs, slip it in to keep her separated and the fry safe. I have done this a few times and works good. I don't like the idea of the fry in with other big fish. I still think they will get picked off to much so.