Hello everyone, I joined a few years ago and forgot how good this site was. I have really enjoyed some of the reading on here. I would like some input for a pond project I will be starting this month.

Here are some specs:

I am in in SE GA, my goal is Bass and BG. The pond is in the middle of my 5 acre tract that is almost completely void of trees. The pond is 2 years old, has no fish, only tadpoles & frogs and has never been tested or fertilized. Water is a stained black color, soil is black with some sand and hard pan approximately 8 ft down. I plan to carry a sample to the DNR office before stocking.

I have a pond that we dug for dirt that is roughly a 1/3 acre now in a rectangle shape, most of the pond is in the 3-5 ft range with maybe 20% being around 9 ft on one end.

Later I needed more dirt and hired a guy to increase the size of the pond. He ended up digging an additional area that was a 30x30 square approximately 12 feet deep separate from the other pond.

I have a contractor that I plan to have dig for 2 days with a large machine (4 yd bucket). My hope is to end up with a 1 acre pond. I want to connect the two areas which will give me a L shape. What type of layout would be best suited for a bass pond this size? I figure I could do an irregular shape although I have to keep the rectangle on one side because of my driveway.

The few trees he will clear for me I plan on stationing around the pond for structure, I think the easiest plan would be to layout the pond in a B shape with the middle having a small peninsula? Maybe extend on of the coves of the B longer?

Sorry for all the questions but I am excited about this day, I have been waiting for 2 years!

Last edited by chambers270; 04/15/16 12:45 PM.

3/4 Acre South Georgia Pond, 1,500 BG/RES; LMB coming soon

Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do.

Most powerful words ever spoken.
(Jesus Christ in Luke 23:34)