Fire,

Yep. "Navigable by statute" is a tricky and strange issue out here. I almost bought a big chunk of land along Terlingua Creek (a dry creek subject to extreme flash floods with permanent water limited to a few very short sections fed by springs). The "creek" is only navigable by kayak by maniacs with huge balls for a few hours after massive rain events, then drains back to dry. Nevertheless, it is "navigable by statute" based on width from bank to bank, even though both banks and the bed are almost always dry.

I decided there wasn't much point in owning land where the public had a permanent recreation easement and where I could not modify the creek by so much as a shovel full.

The land I've now settled on has arroyos that all fall way below the criteria to be considered navigable by statute. I'll still consult with TCEG and TPWD for advice and possible grants. Based on how they've worked with some other locals down here, I expect more help than hindrance ... hopefully.

I'm sure old Clay appreciated the drinks. Best damn mayor in Texas. I'll take a crazy old drunken goat over a typical politician any day.

Last edited by Daryl200; 04/03/16 10:23 AM.