Learned another lesson with my pond project. Leave the work to the professionals! ;0

In a location where the contractors had anticipated getting much of the dirt for the dam, they unexpectedly hit a very hard shelf. Well... It didn't take long to figure out that the shelf would be just perfect for a swimming and fish spawning area so it was left. Only thing... I wanted the water level between 4 and 5 feet. To me, the shelf appeared to be too shallow (at around 3 foot).

Well... I then took it upon myself to take my trackhoe and loosen up the top 18" or so of an area bigger than a volleyball court. You guessed it... A couple days later, the contractor shot it with the laser. Water level had already been between 4 and 5 feet and would now be between 5.5 to 6.5 feet. Which leads to my question...

The lip that was created will help keep the pea gravel / sand that I wanted to put in that area anyway from washing to the deep area. Realistically, we are now just talking about a lot more of it. I can't afford much at $12 per ton.

What problems would I bring upon myself if I got some sand/gravel out of an old creek for that area? The creek could potentially have some limited runoff related to upstream hog confinement and oil field operations. I am most specifically interested in potential problems related to chemicals and organisms I might be introducing to my pond. If some, would it make any difference if I let the sand gravel set on dry land for a year to dry out before moving to beach area? The creek flows within approximately 200 yards of, but not into the pond (separate watershed).

Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]