Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
With high alkalinity - total hardness there is a high buffering capacity to resist 'swings' of pH. pH will swing up and down depending on sunshine (pH up); night (pH down). At night plants produce CO2 which converts to an acid (carbonic acid) to lower pH. In sunshine carbonic acid is converted to carbonates pH goes up. The amount of buffering and plant activity determines how much the shift will be. Significant shifts of pH are not a concern in your pond chemistry. With your hardness, I doubt very much you will ever see a pH decrease to 7.0 in your pond due to even abundant submerged plant growth. In low alkalinity water expect greater shifts of pH.

Bill, I have the opposite problem: low alkalinity (37 last I checked) and low pH (around 6, even with lime on the bottom).

My pond is new with little or no plant life. Would water plants help me with the alkalinity/pH?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160