I can't answer your question, but will offer an observation that is along the subject line and would be interested if my observation sounds logical to the experts.

My observation has to do with the fish movement between three of my ponds that have short term flooding between them during large rain events.

It appears to me nature gives the urge to the tiny fish to swim upstream, even in extremely shallow water. Maybe natures way of populating new bodies of water and a way for new small fish to find new homes?

When I dug my pre-sediment pond (which is very small) and it was dry, after the first significant rain which filled it and overflowed into the bigger sediment pond, numerous 2" BG were found. I had only stocked FHM in it (before it reached full pool), yet there were these small BG even though the water got no deeper than an inch or two during the overflow. The BG apparently swam upstream against the current in this very shallow water to get into this pre-sediment pond.

It surprised me there were so many and the small pond (about 20x40') populated so quickly.

Last edited by snrub; 03/13/16 01:14 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine