Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
If you can locate pellet trained 4"-6" yellow perch (150-200) and FHM(6-8) lbs you can add them this spring. Pellet feed the YP and they will grow fast and not prey heavily on the minnows which will allow their numbers to increase significantly. By fall you should see 6"-9" perch. If minnows are real abundant you can add another 100-150 YP in the fall or spring of 2017. You can add a few fingerling SMB fall of 2017 or 2018. Note when you add bass be prepared to have all the FHM minnows consumed as soon as the bass get to 6"-8". The fewer bass you stock the longer the minnows will last. Consider adding golden shiners to maintain breeder shiners. If you want fish diversity consider adding a few pumpkinseed or redear sunfish. The sooner you add them the more likely they will be successful long term in your pond.

That sounds good Bill. I will definitely be adding fhm, crawfish and yp this spring. Hopefully I can find some pellet trained. I will also try to locate Golden shiners local. I am definitely holding off on the smb until 2017. I want to improve the forage base as well as the cover/structure in the pond before they are inteoduced.

Any recommended to crawfish #'s?
Also, should I consider planting any submerged plants?

Last edited by joeambro25; 03/07/16 08:56 PM.