I would plan on the phases being spread out over the active growing season, and over a few years too.

I'd like Kelly to chime in as he would have a better handle on it than I do.

Since Coontail grows from pieces and parts, and is not a "rooted" plant, what is to prevent Coontail from migrating to areas of the pond that were previously treated from the untreated areas?

Even though dye suppresses the bottom of the food chain in a pond, I would also consider dye as part of the treatment program, and give a long and hard think to feeding the fish in the pond if you aren't doing so already. Dye will help slow down the Coontail growth if you don't have a good bloom to limit sunlight penetration.

One of the ponds that I have to deal with is almost 19 surface acres. It is a Coontail/curly leaf pondweed/filamentous algae problem child. Then when the water warms up, phytoplankton really kicks in and the visibility drops to 12" and less. Last year the decision was made to use fluridone and dye, and that seemed to really help the problem vs. multiple treatments during the year for the weed problem.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).