i am just a couple weeks away from owning my first pond!! this pond is 2 years old, but has been kept from filling completely. there has been about 5-6 ft of water in about 3/4 acre and the total pond is 2.7 acres. some dummy thought he would help the property owner by stocking some fish from a nearby reservoir, problem is, he stocked some crappie. i have no idea how many fish are in there, but i have seen 2 crappie about 6-7" long.
here are my questions. i am considering stocking varying sizes of bluegill and redear ranging from 1-7". then later this summer or fall stocking catfish around 6-8". both would be purchased from a local hatchery. my biggest problem is that i am an avid bass fisherman, and i don't want to wait 4-5 years here in indiana to catch 14" largemouth. so i would like to stock all adult largemouth from surrounding lakes that would be a minimum of 14". i have not seen a question like this before, but what are the pros and cons of stocking adult lmb from my surrounding lakes and reservoirs?? i am sure that disease is an issue, but i am looking at the risk versus the REWARD! i just hate to wait years to catch a nice largemouth when i know i can stock these by myself for no cost (cause i'll be fishing anyway) and then i could have immediate results. the adult largemouth would also control or WIPE out my crappie population. everyone chime in please.