Bill,

Yes looking at it all. When I get involved in solving a problem I eat, sleep, and drink the subject and become obsessed with it until I come up with the simplest most economical solution, and usually but not always it's DIY. I'm a big believer in gedanken experiment too! But that isn't as easy as it sounds!

What helps me too of course is to post my questions and ideas on forums like this, and get feedback from folks that have all kinds of skill sets and different ways of solving problems. I've been accused of already knowing the answer but It's really me thinking outloud.

Just about any kind of sand filter will work to remove the ferric iron, but the trick is to oxidize the ferrous iron and have a large enough water holding tank to allow a minimum of 20 minutes of retention time to fully precipitate the iron if aeration is used. You can get around that by oxdizing on contact various media like greensand, birm, manganese dioxide etc.

I can even build an S & G filter like the following. However in the basement I don't have the required gpm's to sufficiently clear it after the blower agitates the mixture.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?68132-Birdman-s-Sand-Gravel-Filter&highlight=Birdman%27s+sand+and+gravel+filtrr

Ouside where my aqaculture well is located, it's actually simpler as I can enlarge my epdm lined pit to increase retention time. It's alread 8 x 8 by 3 feet deep. And having enough backwash flow is not an issue as my well is 45 gpm. However it's overkill for hatching eggs that only need 1 gpm (1/2 gpm by recirculating). I prefer to hatch the eggs in the basement at least the first year until I have my outside fish tanks going.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/15/16 09:38 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.