Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
They could be put to use for degassing or a C02 stripper.

That was my original intent when I got them years ago, but need to go on the clean water side after the filtration, which you will need to employ pressure blowers and some controls.

Too much expense for a DIY rig tho, and that's where we want to keep this. Right?

If you do the DIY MBBR correctly, should be able to achieve a good +60% on gas stripping. That should allow enough DO for the rig, but too many fish or feed...

Yeah that's the thing. For a DIY rig if you're not pushing the envelope like the commercial systems that need to pay off their capital expense, it's not necessary to get too anal. I did once have 69 lbs. of yellow perch in a 150 gallon tank with no issues. But I was doing a 10 percent water change per day! And couldn't wait to get them into the pond!

I have a 250 gallon system (150 gallon tank) right now with 154 4 to 8 inch bluegills. Most are in the 6 inch range and only a handful are 8 inches. Not bad for not even one year old.

The thing is they were hand selected from the get go and the water is 78 F. Feed up to 5 X per day if I let them.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.