Originally Posted By: TGW1
Bill, as far as the numbers of crawfish to stock, I am not sure but if I had a smb and yp pond, I would want to stock the craws prior to their spawning. my thinking is yoy crawfish or small craws would feed the smb and yp. so, would the psc you order be to large to feed the yp and smb?

Tracy

Tracy,

From the Missouri Dept of Conservation

Size: Adult length: about 1¾ to 3½ inches.

Papershell Crayfish Life Cycle

"This species excavates burrows as deep as the water table as the habitat dries or winter approaches. Mating can occur at almost any time of year but apparently peaks in late summer or early fall. Eggs hatch in spring. The young remain with the female for a week or more, until they complete two molts, usually dispersing by June. The young molt frequently, and some mate their first year. Most males die after the mating season, and most females die after producing their first brood. "

Based on this, if I stock in June, they will either be females, with berry or young attached, smile but more likely, last years spawn so they will not have young until 2017.

Assuming scenario two is most likely to occur, if I stock the craws in June, some will have to survive predation a full year before I will see little ones. Another option would be to wait and stock late August or early September. Thoughts?

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/14/16 09:21 AM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!