Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: JKB
125% of the FLA (Full Load Amps) on the motor nameplate. This is not your starting current.

Thanks. I am back with you again. So how do you keep from a nuisance trip during start? Some kind of time delayed fuse or is there a better protection device?

Yes, the fuses for motors are time delay.

I use circuit breakers where possible, just because if they trip you can reset them rather than replace a blown fuse, and also you can use them easily to start and stop a motor. Needs to be a UL-489 rated device and I select the trip curve based on % inrush current, but usually for AC motors it would be a "D" curve.

Ok, Im lost on what you guys are talking about. I will be running basically the same pump a GAST OR THOMAS that uses the same AMPS from a plugged in extension cord that will go to a 20 AMP circut breaker in a panel I have down by my pond. It will be the only item on this 20 AMP breaker. This is what is currently installed.

what kind of electrical breaker or device should I be using to help this motor? Is this something in my breaker panel or something on the other end of my extension cord in the small home i build for my pump?

eventually I will put an underground line but the area in questions will be ripped up for a home build so no underground lines at this time.

Dave