Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
"esshup, Yes, I did order the setting tool along with the traps.
I viewed the setting procedure several times on YouTube and figured it was a necessity.
It looked like it could be done without one, but I decided to just go that route.
"

Great suggestion - and decision (to order the setting-tool).
When it arrives, locate some thin-wall pipe that is suitably sized to slip over the tool's handles - for use as a cheater.
I found this to be a critical modification for setting the 330's strong springs.
The 18" handle-extensions shown in this photo worked well for me.

I happened to have some spare curtain rod that was perfect for the task. After partially flattening the ends of the rods, I was able to slip them over the tool's handles and finish flattening them to where the were very snug - and virtually flush with the flat surface of the original handles.
Using galvanized pipe probably isn't ideal since its thickness might interfere with the tool's scissor-action. Be sure to use some sort of thin-wall pipe that is stout enough to handle heavy torque without bending. Galvanized conduit might work okay.
Lastly, mark the handles with blaze-orange paint (not shown in the photo) to make them easier to locate when you lay them on the ground. I recently "misplaced" my setting-tool and spent an hour of backtracking my route before I was able to located the tool's whereabouts on the pond-levee.

Thanks, Kelly...the 330's are the size I ordered. They appear to be pretty stout. I can see where the setting tool extensions will help with leverage. I do have some small galvanized conduit that I think may work.  I know what you mean about painting the handles. That's why I won't own a camouflage painted shotgun. About 10 years ago I set my Rem 1100 down on a levee to set out goose decoys. Took me until well after daybreak to find the darn thing.

...when in doubt...set the hook...