Tony, you're right in a lot of ways. I want to get a big buck in the same way that I want to catch a trophy fish. But, it virtually never happens. I think I'm trying to do my part but I very seldom reap the benefits. One of the goals is also to eliminate sub standard deer and encourage better genetics. That also means to manage and TRY to match density to forage availability. Mama Nature tosses a lot of curve balls and is a cruel Manager.

By the end of the rut a lot of bigger bucks enter Winter in pretty poor shape and sometimes don't survive no matter what we do. This is the time that they are succeptible to predation by predators like coyotes. The predators though, IMO, also play a part in regulating the density. How bad is that? I don't really know.

I think next year I'll start protein feeding and see what happens.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP