The great maggot migration of 2015 is underway. Okay, so maybe this particular herald of the approaching winter isn't likely to stir the soul in quite the same manner as watching a formation of geese winging their way southward would, but it's significant nonetheless.

For several years now, I have marveled at the lowly maggot's ability to not only discern the passage of seasons, but to acknowledge the need to come together in regiments of a thousand individuals, act in unison to spin a ziplock cocoon, and insert themselves into a cardboard container addressed to some hayseed in Indiana.

It's their single-minded dedication that intrigues me. They don't ponder the merits of CNBG vs. northern strain, or argue the case for pond dye over a planktonic bloom. Discussions about founding fathers, EPA mandates, whitetail management, the effect of 862,256,234,471 Gizzard Shad in some Indiana Lake, and how the Amish see to read at night never take place. Instead they simply heed the call. That powerful compulsion that drives them to migrate south, from Wisconsin to Indiana, in order to complete their life cycle. In short, they have come here to die.

Such is nature. Harsh, unrelenting, sharp and pointy, cold and wet. Glorious.

It's almost here boys. Sharpen the augers, charge the Vex, spool up with some fresh 1 lb line, and don't forget your picks. Stay topside, and stay on 'em.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.