Originally Posted By: al allison
On my 9ac pond in Chester S.C., my friends and I fish the pond 4 or 5 days per week and release most fish. We have harvested approx. 90 lbs.of bass per year in the 12"-14" range. We catch 30 to 40 bass per week and release most fish.

The bass appear to be healthy and represent a good spread of year classes. Many 2 lb..to 4 lb.. bass and one 10lb.3oz caught this year.Water quality is good and established population of threadfin shad and BG is present. I do not have an over abundance of small stunted bass as would be expected with very little harvest. I am hesitant to harvest 50 plus lbs./ac or 450 lbs. annually. Is mortality due to catch and release compensating for not harvesting?

Your comments will be appreciated.

Al Allison

This thread has me a little confused. I keep going back to the original post. The current harvest plan seems to be working. The concern seems to be there is not an "over abundance" of stunted bass. So the question is (I think! smile ) is the reason he does not have an over abundance of little bass that his C & R plan is killing a lot of the bass he is catching?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/11/15 07:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!