Let me start off by saying i have talked to TJ and he asked me to post about my experience. I am NOT trying bash anyone or blame anyone....just a learning experience for everyone, and a possible "sample" for future applications.

That said, my pond was losing over an inch a day...and we had no large rainfalls since May/June. My pond went from 10-12 feet deep to about 2.5-3 feet at its deepest.

Pond was stocked with 100ish bluegill (50 small...may have been fish food): 8 LMB: 9HSB: and 4 lbs of tilapia at full pool (about 1/8th acre).

I read about the Soilfloc here and wanted to get it ASAP to do what I could to save the pond. It arrived Tuesday.

I went to the local farm store and bought some fiberglass rods and put them at 3.5 ft intervals Wednesday, right where the water met the shore.

Due to our on-again off-again drought, I collect rain water. I had about 1500-1600 gallons stored and put that in the pond. I did this Wednesday too.

Thursday evening I applied the Soilfloc. A quarter cup A and a quarter cup B to each 3.5 ft by 3.5 ft area.

This morning I went out and just looked at it from a distance. I could see the water was back down to where the rods were (the water i added was gone).

I went back out this evening to feed...and could smell i had a problem. The fish were dead. Many dead baby tilapia on the shore, dead bluegill and bass in the water.

I am not asking for anything and am not blaming anyone. The truth is, we have no rain in the forecast and if something had not happened soon, I might have lost them anyway.

My goal is just that we figure out what happened and prevent it from happening to anyone else.

My thought is that I had too little water left, and should have treated a portion at a time instead of the whole pond at once.

Questions? Comments?

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 10/09/15 08:01 PM.