Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Yellow perch in Missouri - that is great news. Keep us up-to-date on YP progress in your pond. Do you see them eating pellets? They come to the surface and retreat very quickly. Easiest and best time to actually see them eating pellets is when the water is 50-65F when they swim a little slower.

I'm pretty sure they (the YP) are eating the AM 500. Pretty big splashes occasionally. They are just amazingly fast. I watch closely, just to get a glimpse of what's hitting. It happens too fast. They may actually be hitting the minnows that are hitting the feed.
I caught two yesterday, one was a bit smaller. These were the first time I'd actually seen the YP since they were stocked.
I guess I'll be catching a bunch here pretty soon. Any YouTube links on filleting these young ones?
Will that filleting board work with smaller YP?
Water temps are dropping. I jumped in yesterday, and got right back out. Pretty cold water. When do you stop feeding? When the pond freezes over?
Hopefully I'll be able to see them when it gets colder.
What I see rising right now seems more like 50 fish, not 1,200. Maybe I lost some, that never floated up..

Last edited by SetterGuy; 09/23/15 06:14 PM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023