GW,

It’s all about risks and reducing risks to an acceptable level within financial constraints.

My opinion is that the methods of and needs for compacting are very much dependent on local conditions...in some areas of the Country a dozer is sufficient for compaction and in other areas, it may not be sufficient. Here in East Texas, thousands of ponds have been built successfully with nothing but small dozers including three I have built/renovated. In Missouri, my Dad built a pond that didn’t leak using an old John Deere tractor to pull a hand operated sled (not advisable when you are the kid “operator” on the sled).

Unless you are an expert in soils and pond construction, your best bet for reducing risks is to find the very best, knowledgeable, experienced contractor that lives in the local area and raises his family there. Ideally, his business, reputation, and livelihood depend on building ponds right. When you find that person and independently verify that they know their stuff, then the best thing you can do is trust them to do the job right…and let them do it. Things can still go wrong, but if you have that trusted partner, you have reduced the risks about as much as one can reasonably do. The next best thing, in terms of risk reduction, is to do the work yourself, but under the close guidance of a local person who has the necessary knowledge and skills described above. In the absence of either of these options, risks may be high and disappointments severe and expensive.