I can't remember the specifics of exactly how to do a bucket test, but I read it here on PBF and maybe someone that does know the specifics will chime in and give them.

The gist of it goes something like this:

Get a 5 gallon bucket and drill some holes in the bottom. How many???? and how big????? I don't know but if I were to guess I would say a half dozen at 1/4".

Take a sample of the soil in question and moisten it to the point it will barely form a ball but is not mud. Damp enough it will compact but not muddy so it will squish. Mix well.

Fill the bucket about 2/3 full then tamp the soil down tight with the end of an ax handle or other suitable tamping stick. The idea being to tamp it down tight enough so it would be of the same compaction that the dam would be from whatever heavy equipment will be used for compaction.

Slowly fill the bucket with water and see if it either seals up and looses very little water or if the bucket goes dry after a while.

As I say, I don't remember the specifics of how to do the test. But the idea is to build a dam in a 5 gallon bucket and see if it holds water.

Don't expect the bottom to be bone dry because all soils will eventually take on water, even if properly compacted. But if the water runs right out you know you have poor soil to make a dam. If it holds pretty well it is good enough to warrant further tests by a professional.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone will have more specifics.

Last edited by snrub; 08/20/15 05:24 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine