Originally Posted By: anthropic
TJ, snrub, ozark, rainman, thanks so much for the advice & comments! My pond has very little in the way of rock, one reason I'd like to add some for habitat improvement.

On a slightly different subject, I've got 1/4 acre stock pond close by the main pond where I wish to raise BG and/or TP. 8 feet deep in the middle, but 1 - 3 foot banks for spawning.

Bob Lusk said that this should work well, but that weeds would be a problem in the shallows. I wonder if using an 8 to 12 inch thick bed of clean pebble rock, say 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter, to line the shallow areas would both enhance spawning and keep down weed growth.

thoughts? Has anybody tried this?

Bob's [obviously] correct - those shallow areas will become inviting for vegetation to flourish - and each year will continue to slowly silt in making it more shallow.

If you want to prevent weed growth, line the shallow shelf areas meant for spawning with landscaping fabric, staple it in place, then place whatever substrate you desire [pea gravel, sand, etc.]. This is how many PB guys have built their beaches with success. Building a 12" clay ridge around the "beach" area helps also retain the substrate and prevents it washing out. Landscaping fabric helps reduce weed growth and also mixing of substrate with clay/silt. Without the barrier created by the fabric, over several years the sand/gravel/rock it will entirely incorporate into you pond bottom and disappear - at least in my experience in my ponds.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]