You stated that your main concern was liquid damage to a wood floor due to occasional spills. I would remove that from the equation; it's a non-issue. As stated above, I have spilled plenty of stuff, hit and miss, cleaned it up in a reasonable amount of time, and zero change to the integrity of the wood floor in our kitchen.
Other considerations are that tile floor are great in summer cuz their cool; not so great in winter when you want a little warmth. Yeah, you can install electric heating pretty cheap; your call. Wood, though consistent and more temperature comfortable through all the seasons. The dishwasher and cook will appreciate this facet.
I used prefinished Bellawood and have zero regrets. If I was finishing it myself after install, I would absolutely, positively, use Varathane Diamond Coat poly for my clear finish after staining. It is the expensive (about $45 per gal), but goes on easy, clear, and hard as a rock. I use water base. I ditched every other poly years ago for ALL my wood projects. Varathane diamond coat is the nuts.
Also, remember that you will drop pickel jars (and trivets; ask RAH) onto a wood floor. Yes, it dents. Oh well; tough. Chalk it up the natural beauty of owning a wood floor.