Tell you what, the more I read and learn about pond design and management the more interesting I find it. From what I've heard from the neighbors in my area, the pond is a natural low spot in between the hills that would always fill up with water but not much(small pond). It is my understanding that the pond never had a dam constructed and if so it was decades ago. They said that the pond naturally filled but would dry out during the summer or during drought years. About 5 years or so ago the original land owner brought equipment back there after a wildfire and completely renovated the pond and built up a rather large dam(to me anyways) between the two hills. From what I can tell, if you look at my picture, in yellow at the bottom left, this area appears to be where water leaves or exits the pond, which is what looks like the lowest part of the dam(the low spot). I really don't think I have any other means of discharging water in my setup. Maybe this setup will work perfectly for many, many years, I don't know. But if I need to put extra devices or mechanisms in place to ensure this I want to plan it out and get the ball rolling because having a pond to fish every morning/day would be a slice of heaven.

Last edited by waltmagic; 05/22/15 05:04 PM.