Originally Posted By: basslover
Sounds like maybe the pond owners of Illinois should consider working together with their voted-in reps and make some changes to the books.

I've been and active member and officer of the West Virginia Aquaculture Association for many years. We worked long and hard to get all private waters moved from under DNR jurisdiction to being under WV Department of Agriculture jurisdiction. It has been at least five years since the transition.

Our ponds are now the same as a cattle farmer's pasture, and our fish are no different than the cows in that pasture. It also took us out from about 35 different government oversight groups to about seven. Pond muck and fish poop is now the same as cattle or chicken manure. Prior to the change, pond muck and fish poop was considered hazardous waste and fell under multiple agencies. It was a nightmare.

So, yes! I don't know anybody in the Illinois Aquaculture Association, but you should be able to get in touch with your local Extension Service representative. If that doesn't work, get in touch with your local Farm Bureau representative.

Geeze, as I was finishing this -- I just remembered we have a very good Pond Boss friend who may be able to answer some questions, if you can slow him down long enough to talk with him. He is out of Peoria, IL, and his family's reality TV show, LAKE LIFE, premiers tonight at 10:00 PM Eastern Time on the DIY network.

That would be Nate Herman, or N8ly here on Pond Boss. Their website is Herman Brothers Lake and Land Management.

Nate is an incredibly friendly and helpful individual. He and his brother Justin have done a lot of unbelievable things in Illinois and surrounding states.

Maybe he will see this, but if not, send him a PM via this website.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!