Sunil we have Voles around our home, likely due to the bird feeders which drop seeds all the time. They can destroy lawns with their tunnels and are a general nuisance. I will get fed up once annually and go Elmer Fudd on them. Live traps can work, but since Voles like to tunnel a lot, I use warfarin laced gummy worms or pellets with peanut butter coating and drop them in their tunnels/holes. I must knock back a significant portion of their population, as for 4-6 months I won't see them around. Then I calm down, feel kinda guilty for my campaign against them, until they reappear and the cycle starts again.

Voles or other burrowing critters can cause damage, especially to concrete patios - their tunnels can collapse and requires mudjacking to restore patio to original levels. If you go EF on them like me for a couple weeks you should knock them out. Live traps or Warfarin are my recommendations. If you live trap them I'm sure Ken could make some fricassee and you'd never guess you're eating Alvin.

FYI - the antidote to Warfarin ingestion by cat or dog is Vitamin K...other poisons [zinc phosphide/bromethalin] don't have any antidotes. It would require a very significant dose of Warfarin to kill a pet so I would not worry much about it. If you have pets that like eating crap they shouldn't, I recommend only using Warfarin just in case.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]