Originally Posted By: DCortez
Have power about 500 or so feet away. Heavily forested area, with a path, lots of roots, but I do have a trencher.

Where would I get the kind of black poly pipe you'd use for this?

I got mine at Lowe's in the well pump department (it's not located with the rest of plumbing supplies - go to the area where they have pressure tanks and well pumps for home wells). Can get 100' rolls.

On long runs you might want to check with a commercial plumbing supply house where plumbers go to get their supplies. The stuff is available in 500' rolls. From my research, it was just as cheap or cheaper to get mine from Lowe's. The advantage of the plumbing house and 500' roll is you do away with a lot of connectors. The smaller rolls are easier to handle and most of my runs were shorter. The well pump variety of the black plastic water pipe is available in two different grades. A lower pressure grade and a higher pressure grade (can't remember the pressures but one is like 65psi and the other is like 100 psi). While the lower pressure is more than adequate for pond air use, if the higher grade is not much more I would go with it. It is thicker and much less prone to "kinking" while handling.

You don't need to bury deep, but you want it deep enough so rodents don't get at it. They love to chew on plastic. You don't want them chewing on it or it will be a constant battle. Small mice can make small problematic holes in your new installation.

Something Esshup pointed out at some earlier time that I had not thought of but is a VERY good idea. He pointed out that expansion and contraction from summer to winter can cause the hose to pull apart at the joints. Be sure and use the connectors made especially for this pipe. They are longer than something you will find in the regular plumbing department. The connectors, adapters, tee's, L's etc will be located right where the pipe is. DOUBLE hose clamp the connections and I like to wrap them in electrical tape (clamps and all) before burying. You don't want this connection to pull apart under ground and try to find where you are loosing air later.

Just some tips to help you keep from having problems later.

Last edited by snrub; 03/06/15 08:34 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine