Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Not sure how much faith I have in uneaten feed on the bottom being no big deal? If you can't watch the fish feed, how do you know if they're eating at all? How do you know how much to throw out? I keep envisioning a scenario wherein a pondowner just throws sinking feed, day after day throughout the winter months. Sounds like a scenario for a pond bottom carpeted by fertilizer to me.

Of course, if that happens, they will probably be happy to recommend ($$$) a treatment option.... wink

Tony - for my situation in the midwest, I concur. In our fertile NE ponds, wasted pellets [floating onto shoreline or sinking to pond bottom] merely exacerbate excessive nutrient load issues and lead to vegetation control issues, water quality issues, and possibly fish kill scenarios. However, for BOWs that are infertile, these nutrients may be useful. Think Richmond Mill - perfect example of pellets helping to improve fertility in an otherwise nearly sterile, highly acidic/low PH BOW. Feeding created an outstanding fishery under Lusk direction which never existed prior.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]