Originally Posted By: Jason007
As some of you might remember, I decided NOT to take the advice of letting fish starve through the winter months.

Instead, I fed my Coppernose bream through the winter. And not just a little bit either. I fed these fish until they weren't hungry anymore. Currently , water temperature in my pond is 51 degrees F.

There are good guys here that know exactly what they are talking about. They will go nearly overboard and bend over backwards to help people here and give friendly advice. This forum is a fine forum and the members here are very helpful.

Having said that, I got advice about how winter pellet feeding is useless. That it is a waste of time. That winter pellet feeding will not benefit growth, because a fishes metabolism slows down once the water temperature drops ( which is true but it doesn't stop completely) That the fish will eat the pellets but not process the pellets correctly, thus growth will be nothing short of non-existant. That it is unhealthy to feed pellets during the winter months. That a fishes health would suffer due to feeding pellets regularly through the winter. And I would have to go back and look but there was a host of warnings, a very long list of why not to pellet feed high protein during cold water months.

It is starting to warm here a bit now. Spring is right around the corner. But today I bring you results of feeding during the winter months. They are hitting the Crickhopper lure made by Rebel which is a fairly sizable lure for Bream.

This fine specimen is smaller compared to the two I caught yesterday but did not have my camera out there with me yesterday. Trust me when I tell you, some of my bream are quite a bit larger than this. They are drop dead gorgeous, if I do say so myself.

The fish were caught, gently handled, the hooks came out easily, then released. My goal is 2 pound plus coppernose.
Do not know if that will happen, but it does appear that I'm headed in the right direction.

I give you results.

Jason, really nice CNBG – one if my favorite fish!
No advice from me, but lots of CNBG experience to share!

About forum advice, first if all, I determine if advice is regional and experienced based – I don’t overthink this stuff.
My feeding schedule is seasonal based, feeding more in peak growing periods and less in the hottest and coldest weeks, essentially year round. I let the fish tell me want they want.

There are so many variables involved, there are no set rules for me – our CNBG may be on a feeding frenzy in one pond and inactive in the other.

I say go for that 2 pounder, feeding based on observation.
Good luck with your program.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)