1morecast: The use of empty 45 gallons plastic drums are excellent for floating docks because of their appropriate length and width. In my application I created 4' width docks with 16' lengths and framed the 2 drums near each end's width. The drums were framed into the width of the 4' and approx 4' in from each end for each dock section, resulting in the docks being equally spaced and balanced throughout the floating dock sections. The docks were joined together with galvanized brackets and screwed into each side joist of the adjoining docks for stability. If you were for example making an 12' X 12' platform you could build 4 framed in areas near the four corners. Use 2 X 6" or 2 X 8" for the joists and framing structure. When the dock is floated the top of the drums will rest on the docks decking for a short height distance above the surface water level. If you require more height of the dock above the water you could frame each drum so it will sit higher in the water. I hope this helps with the many variable possible. Tip- seal each drum opening with water friendly caulking and be careful in the chemicals that were stored in each drum before your use.

Rowly