Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Two boys, 13 and 17, drowned today after breaking through while ice fishing on an old quarry lake, about 12 miles north of me.

If there are any other southern Indiana ice anglers here on the forum, please watch your step guys. My ice is junk...open water in a lot of areas, after 4.5" of decent ice yesterday morning. Too warm, for too long.

My thoughts go out to the families of those boys.

News
Division of Law Enforcement

Indiana Department of Natural Resources
402 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2748

For immediate release: January 18, 2015

Update:

Both juveniles have been pronounced dead at I.U. Health Bloomington Hospital. Clark "Edward" Shoemaker, 17, of Spencer and Dominic Arthur, 13, of Coal City. Autopsies are scheduled for Monday, January 19th at Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

Divers recover two juveniles after fall through ice (Owen County)

Spencer, Ind. – Indiana Conservation Officer divers recovered two juveniles this afternoon who had fallen through the ice of a rural rock quarry north of Spencer, Indiana.

At approximately 1328 hours Owen County Sheriff’s Dispatch received a 911 call in reference to two juveniles who had fallen through the ice.

First Responders arrived and navigated steep rocky terrain to reach the waters edge. Indiana Conservation Officer Divers located the two juveniles within minutes of entering the water. They had been submerged for approximately an hour and a half in 11 feet of water. Both victims were taken to I.U. Health Bloomington Hospital and their condition is unknown at this time.

The pair had been ice fishing with family members at the rock quarry near the 2400 block of Romona Road in rural Owen County. The ice was measured at less than three inches thick.

Responding agencies include Indiana Conservation Officers, Owen County Sheriff’s Department, Owen Valley Fire, Owen County Rescue, Owen County EMS and Air Evac.

Indiana Conservation Officers note that the warming temperatures had contributed to the deterioration of the ice. Always verify the thickness of the ice before venturing out on it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).