Welcome RCGoBlue! My pond is in SW Michigan. Listen to the experts here, they have helped me a ton.

I'd love to dive in to the uncertainly about HSB stocking in Michigan. There are posts on the forum where HSB were put in Michigan ponds by a reputable fish hauling (Fish farm, what is the correct term) outfit. I don't think they would risk their license by brining in illegal fish, nor want to pay the high fines!!

But there is grey area in the guidelines. Read this old post. I tried to see if the pondowner would reply, give an update on how his HSB are doing in his pond etc but no reply.

I can make calls or emails but it seems that it is one of those things in the Michigan Beurocracy that 'it depends who you ask'. Also the law doesn't separate aquaculture from private pond owner. Also I imagine it is different since my ponds has no inlet or outlet but others might.

See this thread
Michigan Pond owner stocked HSB

I can ask a contact at the Michigan DNR but I think the biologists or enforcement division or somone at HQ in Lansing need to give an official ruling, not the local officer in my area.

I see several advantages to the FHM, GSH, scud, grass shrimp, maybe native crayfish...PAUSE.... then perch, HSB later strategy.