I would stack them pyramid style. Three on bottom, then two on top of the three. Another one if you can find it to put up on the very top.

Vertical height on structure is good so fish can move up and down the water column with changing temperature, time of day, etc.

Depth to place them would be so that the top layer is deep enough to not bother anything like a boat or whatever at the lowest expected water level. For the best fish benefit, the structure coming near the surface of the water is good. But you may not want to see an eyesore or hit it with your boat propeller. So how close it comes to the surface will depend on these things.

If your culverts are 24" and you have enough for two layers, maybe place in 5-6' of water and have them come to within a couple feet of the surface. Or if you have enough for three layers in 8' of water.

On the bottom layer, if you can, drive some T posts on each side of the bottom layer so until they get settled in they will not roll out from under the upper layers when you place them on top.

My opinion, the way I would do it. Your mileage may vary.

If you don't want catfish spawning in them, might consider wrapping the ends with black plastic fencing so that small fish can use as refuge inside but larger fish can't enter. Just another idea. Could also stuff the centers with brush or cedar trees for small fish cover. Lots of different ways.

The more vertical height from the bottom of the pond up you can get for cover the better.

Last edited by snrub; 01/11/15 11:09 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine