Pat, thanks. I get it now smile .

Stikem, i have no runoff unfortunately. Good to know 10' is achievable.

Scott, i thought the soil taken within a couple km distance would be about the same. I guess i am wrong smile .

Guys , on Garden Web forum a guy is trying to tell me something, which i guess is pretty important but no matter how many times i read it i can't get his point. Can you help me with that?

If you are starting from seed anyway, as you wrote, if you start it in a pot you will have to trim the roots before you plant the tree in the ground, unless you have the right pots to airprune the seedlings, and if you do have the airpruning pots the tree will have to grow more roots in the ground to catch up to the one that was already started in the ground in the first place. It may put the tree back one year or 2, not too much but, you will need to water in a drought unless you let the acorn grow where the tree will stay, since the acorn will put down a taproot, and that seedling will not need babied in a drought. I think it is a time saver, you press the acorn in the soil on it's side barely covered or not quite soil covered, but enough that it won't blow away, and walk away, you'll likely need something to protect the acorns from animals, I use wire baskets from the dollar store. So Pushing an acorn into the damp soil, cover with a wire basket or something like it, and walk away VS digging a hole getting the depth right, covering the roots and watering, mulching and still protecting from critters and watering the first year or 2 when it doesn't rain for a few days to a week, and the tree will have to replace roots lost in transplanting to catch up to that acorn pressed into the soil. That's my best explanation.