Hello to all. New here. Been reading for a couple years now, but I'm now getting closer to a pond build myself so I thought I'd actually register and start researching a little more.

As I read this thread, there were a lot of thoughts that crossed my mind as to how the LMB got there.

1. Birds was my first thought. Up here in the land of 10,000 lakes there are a lot of isolated lakes, and unless they freeze out regularly, they all have fish in them. Even little 2-4 acre ponds in the middle of nowhere. Some relatives have a pond that is only a few feet deep and it freezes out every few years. A few years later there are always fish. But, they don't start as sizable fish, so when that 3lber was found, that discounted that possibility.

2. Flow from another body of water. Very possible, but the owner would know if that was probably or not.

3. The stocked fish. Possible up until the point were they were discovered to be very large.

4. Bucket. Possible but the owner said its not likely being home often and having dogs.

Like most, I'm going to go with the bucket, and a plausible scenario.... only because I was a young man once upon a time and I enjoyed a few beers from time to time.

Step 1: Bob and Tom pick up a case or two of beer
Step 2: Bob and Tom proceed to drink 75% of a case.
Step 3: Evening rolls around and B&T, while pondering the joys of life, decide that life would be better with their owning fishing hole. (and they have an idea of the perfect place) They can stock it at night, then wait a couple years, then go back and fish it at night.
Step 4: Bob's pickup transports them to the local lake with a bucket and 2 poles, along with more beer.
Step 5: Catch a few fish and place in bucket, drink some beer.
Step 6: Go back to OMC's pond and park a block down the road.
Step 7: Sneak in under the cover of darkness, dump the bucket in the pond and run like the wind. Hope dogs are either inside or cant hear them.
Step 8: Drink another beer at the truck.
Step 9: Drive poorly back home and bask the glory of their twilight mission. Have another beer.
Step 10: Pass out. Next morning remembering their actions, but not remembering where the pond was. Or - remembering where the pond was, but knowing that it was a bad idea and not worth ever going back to.

And then there were bass...

As far as fixing it, no idea there. I'm a newbie on ponds, but well experienced in midnight missions.

Best of luck.