Dang philosophers! Tony, it's about 4:30 in the morning, on my first cup of coffee, and you're making me think.

Although a self admitted predator and competitor, I've never wasted a minute of my life when hunting. And some of those days have been absolutely painful and miserable. Like Scott, I've done it in a lot of far off places that I'm now too old to tackle. Last night, I passed up a free, to me, guided Alaskan bear hunt with my Grandson. Although everybody says that I'm in great shape for my age(71) I know that I'm too old to mess with those mountains. I've been in them too many times to kid myself.

I don't want to get all gooshy about communing with nature. I don't synthesize things by saying that I harvest deer. Heck, I kill them and dead is dead. I've seen a lot more deer, elk, antelope than I've shot. If I shoot it, I eat it but don't hunt for food. Unless there is a problem animal, I don't molest it. I no longer dove hunt because I don't like the taste and don't use wildlife for target practice.

Some people hunt with a camera but, to me, that's about like kissing your sister.

I plant 4 acres in front of the house with wheat, turnips and radishes. This helps the animals get through January and February when natural browse is pretty hard to come by. No hunting is allowed there.

Actually, I haven't killed a deer on my land in 3 or 4 years. I have one buck that comes to corn feeders. He has a beautiful rack, is 4.5 years old, and has a bad left shoulder. More than likely he got his butt whipped when he was younger. I've told the kids not to molest Gimpy.

So, why do I do it? Why will I still do it when they have to push my wheel chair into the woods? Not sure I can answer that one.

I think that I compete. Right now I'm after a specific big buck. He's about 6.5 years old. I know his travel areas but not where he beds. Last weekend I sat in the woods when it was cold, wet and windy. Absolutely a miserable day to sit still very still and see nothing. I expect that the coyotes will take him some say instead of me. But, I may or may not shoot if I see him. I remember another huge buck in my sights about 20 years ago. I lined up on him and started thinking about it being a shame to kill the best of the breed. I passed but might not next time.

Well, there went an hour of sitting and thinking, typing and re typing without being able to answer you or myself.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP