Yes and no. Doubtful a supplier will sort for you even if you pay him extra. However what I and some others have done here is grow them out in a cage or seperate pond and sort ourselves.. I hatch and grow out my own in a seperate pond for complete control. If you can purchase them large enough from a supplier you may be able to sort out the males for the pond and cook up the females.

Larger mature fish are easier to sex and it has to be done during spawning time for 100 percent success. If you have even the slightest doubt of the sex of the fish it doesn't go into the pond.

Some day I will hatch my bluegills indoors and make them all males by adding a male hormone to the feed. Most fish are sexless early in their life cycle and adding male hormones wiill make rhem male and adding female hormones will make them female.

Keep in mind my fish are not sold for consumption so I can get away with this. I will also have to treat the wastewater from that particular tank.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/17/14 07:08 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.