The Ultimate Pond Rake does have some advantages over the Beachcomber rake. I have met with and discussed the product with the designer several times (NW OH) who produces these in his Tool and Die/Machine Shop . He has a great concept designed into the "hydrofoil". It does allow for extended reach when throwing the rake out and does hold tight to the bottom when retrieving. It also has a sturdy, 1 piece handle that holds up to some abuse. I think this combination does make the unit easier to use and perhaps more effective than a beachcomber rake. To say this is the best thing since sliced bread may be an overstatement, however. You will notice that the rake head is going to be narrower than a beachcomber rake (will not cover as wide of an area) and it also has a shorter handle that limits some tasks. I've noticed that removing vegetation from the hydrofoil unit can be a little more difficult than just simply turning and shaking a beachcomber rake. I also don't think this rake will hold up to the same abuse that you can give a beachcomber rake because of its moving parts. Finally, you will also find that the price tag will be a little higher on the "Ultimate Rake". All things considered, it does seem to do a good job, especially at removing Chara. Just my 2 cents.