Pat I'm going to make the effort to get some better feed next year, having learned what I have here on PBF.

I started out not going to feed at all. My fish fingerling supplier told me a little supplemental feeding would sure boost the BG and FHM spawn. So bought a bag of feed store feed and started a light supplemental feeding. It became habit forming. I now find it stressful if I don't get out to feed my fish. Not for the fish, me.

But I've fed several different brands because one store is out this time or I'm near this feed store this time. Not a good thing. Animals and fish like consistency. But I can tell you that even with hand feeding and less than optimal feed, my fish have performed pretty well. I' m satisfied my fish are larger and in better shape than if they had not been fed at all.

That being said, starting feeding next spring, I'm going to find a supplier that can order in some higher quality feed for me and order enough ahead so I can feed a consistent feed.

I started out with baby steps with recreational feeding and am ready to get more serious about it.

But in my non expert opinion, even suboptimal feed will make your fish better than no supplemental feed at all. The better quality feed should be just that much better. I'm ready to move up.

Edit: man I can sure tell when I enter posts on my TAB without a spell checker. Edited to correct my lousy spelling.

Last edited by snrub; 10/14/14 11:30 AM. Reason: correct my lack of spelling ability

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine