Dave Davidson likes GSF in his pond, and he is in the south like you. If you could go to his name and click on it and do a search of some of his posts about GSF it might help you. Or he might read this, happen along and give you a first hand account.

But I recall from his previous comments that he has had trouble keeping them in his pond because eventually the CNBG out reproduce them.

Guys in the north seem to have a dread hate of the GSF. Guys in the south seem to at least tolerate them and don't see them as such a threat. Just my observation reading threads here on PBF.

Here in my area, probably 90+% of the ponds have GSF in them. Many, many ponds it is the main forage fish, most being bucket stocked from some nearby creek. Creeks are full of them as are the old coal strip pits. The only ponds that are absent GSF are the ones where the pond owner is interested enough in fish and fishing to stock BG. And even some of them have GSF because the fish truck they bought their fish from had GSF contamination in their stock. So here GSF in ponds is a way of life. GSF are the backbone of most LMB fishing around here. Not saying it is a good backbone, but just the way it has been for many years.

So I know they can be managed around. Maybe not to a perfect pond situation, but managed.

Where you have water above you that you have no control over what fish are in it, my guess is you have no choice but to learn to manage around GSF.

Last edited by snrub; 10/13/14 08:59 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine