Originally Posted By: Rainman
I am guessing that the lime added was at a "per acre rate" to bring it to X pH? If so, that rate is for roughly a year. Plus, if it was just added to the water, and not your watershed, more acidic water enters on every rain event to quickly counter a water only ag lime application.

Some may not agree on my thoughts for ag lime, but I add about 5-10 times what a soil sample of the watershed and pond calls for to bring pH to 7.4.

Ag lime (crushed Dolomite limestone) will have a maximum pH of 8.2-8.4, which is still very safe for fish, and an application will last 10-15 years before a repeat is needed. Also spread the ag lime at whatever rate you choose, not only into the pond, but also in as much of the watershed as possible.

If the land and the pond can handle some extra magnesium use dolomite limestone. To the north here you can make magnesium level toxic enough to kill plants and tie up other micronutrients. The signs to look for is very deep green leafs and red vainy leafs.

The only reason I have a problem with dolomite limestone is because of the % of magnesium and the tones of lime applied most of the time. This can equal to a very very high level of magnesium.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.